Hundreds of Australian musicians have pledged their support for a national awareness campaign against violence against women. Using their unique platform to make the statement that violence against women is #notON, musicians will be wearing t-shirts supporting the awareness campaign on stages at shows across Australia throughout April with artists as diverse as The Grates, Courtney Barnett, Airling, Urthboy, Boy & Bear, Reece Mastin, Troy Cassar-Daley, Pete Murray, Violent Soho, Katie Noonan and The Choirboys lending their support.
“As an industry with a huge fan base of young males, we are in a unique position to be able to start conversations about what is a real epidemic in our society,” said Pete Murray. “This isn’t a disease that’s hard to find a cure for—it’s simply about increasing awareness and saying that we refuse to live in a society that tolerates the kind of statistics that Australians have been horrified by over the last few months.”
WHY THE AUSTRALIAN MUSIC INDUSTRY SAYS IT’S #notON…..
• On average, one woman is killed every week as a result of intimate partner violence.
• Domestic and family violence is the principle cause of homelessness for women and their children.
• Violence against women is estimated to cost $14.4 billion to the Australian economy per annum.
• Intimate partner violence is the leading contributor to death, disability & ill-health in Australian women aged 15-44.
• One in five women experience harassment within the workplace.
With the support of national charity White Ribbon Australia, the initiative has been born out of the generosity of industry workers, merchandise companies and of course the artists themselves who are all donating their time to make a difference.
Libby Davies, CEO of White Ribbon Australia, comments; “We are excited to have the support of the music industry via this creative initiative. It is so important to break the silence that surrounds men’s violence against women. Hearing musicians lend their voices to the campaign helps to expand the reach of our prevention work aimed at changing the attitudes and behaviours that lead to such violence.”
ARTISTS ALREADY PLEDGING SUPPORT FOR #notON INCLUDE:
Airling – Alpine – Bad//Dreems – Benny Walker – Bliss n Eso – Bloods – Boy & Bear –
Busby Marou – Courtney Barnett – Dallas Frasca – Dubmarine – Emma Louise – Grenadiers
– Hannah Cameron – Hermitude – HITS – Isabella Manfredi – Jackie Marshall – Jasmine Rae –
Jimblah – Josh Pyke – Katie Noonan – Katie Wighton – Kaylens Rain – Kram – L-Fresh the Lion
– Lurch & Chief – Matt Cornell – Melanie Dyer – Packwood – Pete Murray – Reece Mastin – RY
– Sahara Beck – Sarah Belkner – Sietta – Spookyland – Steve Balbi – Suze de Marchi –
The Basics – The Beards – The Choirboys – The Church – The Drones – The Grates – The Herd
– The Last Kinection – The Medics – Thelma Plum – Thirsty Merc – Tim Steward –
Troy Cassar-Daley – Urthboy – Violent Soho – We All Want To