Building on a shared passion for beauty, precision, and performance, and inspired by the shared historical significance of the iconic Gibson 1959 Les Paul Standard and equally iconic Triumph 1959 Bonneville T120, the outcome of this unique partnership is a stunning one-of-a-kind custom edition of today’s generation of each legendary model.
Created to support The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride, in its global charity efforts for men’s mental health, prostate cancer awareness and fundraising, the 1959 Legends custom edition Les Paul Standard Reissue and Bonneville T120 feature a host of beautiful hand-detailed custom touches, designed, and applied in Triumph’s factory workshop.
The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride unites hundreds of thousands of classic and vintage style motorcycle riders all over the world to raise funds and awareness for prostate cancer research and men’s mental health. Founded in Sydney, Australia in 2012, the ‘dress dapper’ themed ride aims to combat the often-negative stereotype of motorcyclists and connect the global motorcycling community by raising funds for a cause important to every rider.
Since its first year, the DGR’s global community has raised over $31m USD for its charity partner, Movember, and now operates in over 900 cities and 114 countries around the world.
This year’s Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride will take place on Sunday 22nd May with pre-registration already open to riders across the world, and official registration and fundraising starting on 28th March.
Gibson and Triumph 1959 Legends inspiration
Celebrating the shared historic resonance of the year 1959, the custom collaboration project honours the two iconic products central to each brand’s story – the 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard and the 1959 Triumph Bonneville T120, both considered to be the holy-grail of their worlds, and both still manufactured and sold today.
A genuine guitar icon, and a priceless music legend, the 1959 Les Paul Standard is the ultimate Gibson classic. And the Custom Shop 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue is more than just a tribute, it’s an authentic and accurate clone. Matched to that, the ultimate classic motorcycle icon, the legendary 1959 Bonneville T120, delivered ground-breaking performance, making it the original British superbike. While today’s equivalent, the category-leading Bonneville T120 combines that timeless character and style, with modern capability and performance.
Inspired by the shared 1959 history and the enduring connection between music and motorcycle culture from the birth of rock and roll to the teenage café racer and beyond, Gibson and Triumph set out to create a unique custom edition to highlight and support the incredibly important fundraising aims and passion of The Distinguished Gentleman’s Ride.
Triumph Factory Custom Detailing:
Reflecting the passion that Gibson and Triumph designers share for beautiful design, precision, performance and world-class craftsmanship, the 1959 Les Paul Standard Reissue and Bonneville T120 were chosen to be hand-customised by Triumph’s world-leading design team at the Triumph factory workshop in Hinckley, the global HQ and home of Triumph.
Gibson Les Paul Standard Reissue – 1959 Legends custom design detailing:
• Unique Jet Black scratch plate with hand-painted coach lining to celebrate the signature machined engine cooling fins of the classic Bonneville T120.
• Elegant Triumph logo laser etched into the lower pickup cover.
• Unique hand-painted Jet Black pickup cover surrounds.
• Low-profile electroformed metallic gold Triumph badge applied to the headstock.
• Beautifully cast, painted and hand-finished reissue switch backplate on the back of the guitar, featuring the “Triumph Gibson 1959 Legends” partnership logo, designed to echo the Bonneville T120 alternator cover badge design.
Triumph Bonneville T120 – 1959 Legends custom design detailing:
• Beautiful and unique custom paint scheme to match the Iced Tea Burst finish of the guitar, featuring Jet Black painted guitar neck and headstock design on the top of the tank, edged with hand-painted coach lining, showcasing the expert skills of Triumph’s custom paint team.
• Low-profile electroformed metallic gold “Triumph Gibson 1959 Legends” badges applied to the tank, side panels and front mudguard.
• Laser etched fuel filler cap featuring Gibson logo.
• Custom brown real leather seat, designed to match the leather guitar case, with additional detailing including diamond stitching, embroidered Triumph logo and custom pick holders.
• Bespoke alternator badge featuring intricate detailing and the “Triumph Gibson 1959 Legends” logo.
Certificate of authenticity:
• Bespoke 1959 Legends Editions certificate, signed by Triumph CEO Nick Bloor, and Cesar Gueikian, Brand President of Gibson Brands.
Above: the Gibson 1959 Legends custom edition Les Paul Standard Reissue.
Above: Triumph Bonneville T120.
Gibson distributed in Australia by Australis Music Group